I am very honored to have been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by Finlay Games – The Recovery. I started my blog in early January, the day before my surgery. I woke up on that day with some intense anxiety about my first general anesthetic (knocked out completely) surgery and thought;
‘Hmmm… maybe this would be a good time to express whatever I find inside me and put it on the internet for anyone to read. Yeah, this seems like a good time to be vulnerable and exposed to the world. You know….in case I never wake up from this thing.’
This was certainly an amplified reaction to a minor surgery. However, anxiety is often immune to logic.
Since then, I have been hooked; learning about a world that I had experienced only as a reader. Initially, I didn’t give much thought to who might read my blog. Like many others, the blog was an outlet; creatively, intellectually, and emotionally. However, as I started to gain a few readers; their comments and feedback was encouraging. I discovered a community of writers that I could relate too. When I was nominated for The Versatile Blogger Award, I felt encouraged and affirmed; that someone would take the time to read my different posts and respond positively. Thank you, Finn.
What is the Versatile Blogger Award?
The Versatile Blogger Award is given to bloggers who have unique content with quality writing, images and photographs. Being nominated and winning are one and the same. Therefore, if you have been nominated, you have won! For more information, click here.
Responsibilities of the Versatile Blogger Award
Part of my responsibilities for being nominated is to communicate 7 things about myself to the person who nominated me. Here it goes, Finn:
1. I dip my broccoli in mayonnaise. And yes, I also eat the broccoli after I do this. I know it’s disgusting, but I love it. Please don’t judge me; I’m not a monster.
2. I am a music professor. Impressed? I hope so. I went to school forever to receive 3 graduate degrees. Impressed yet? I have a Doctorate in Music Composition and two Master’s Degrees; one in Music Composition and another in Music Theory. People call me Dr. Petersen. By now, I am SURE that you must be impressed with me. If not, then I’m going back to school for more.
3. I don’t compose music anymore. So now you can be less impressed.
4. I lost my virginity when I was 23 years old. Now you know more about me than you probably wanted too. And more than most people, so please don’t tell anyone. This is sort of a private matter that I would like to share one on one with people, if and when those relationships develop to a point where that would be appropriate. Your discretion is very much appreciated.
5. Dogs over cats. Don’t get me wrong; cats are fine. I just don’t think they should exist. 🙂
6. I’m over 40, so I refer to my phone as a smart phone.
7. People say I have a dry self-deprecating sense of humor, but I don’t believe them.
Nominations for the Versatile Blogger Award
One of the responsibilities as a recipient of the VBA, is to discover 15 blogs to nominate. This has led me to seek out new blogs and get to know new bloggers; expanding the community that I have enjoyed so much. My 15 nominees, in no particular order, are as follows:
1. The Sacred Space: A wonderful blog that shines positivity; spreading wellness opportunities to anyone who visits.
2. The Hamster Ball: A diverse blog that tackles an array of issues with sophistication and intelligence.
3. The College Student’s Guide to Motherhood: A beautiful blog focusing on issues of motherhood; from reviewing products to addressing diverse parenting perspectives and approaches.
4. Home of Understanding: a great introspective blog that explores emotions and well-being with nuance.
5. Lellalee: This blog truly embodies versatility; topics range from well-being and the mind, to travel, unusual laws, weight loss, to food and drink. Oh yeah, great photos!
6. My Beyoutiful life: Not surprisingly; a beautiful lifestyle blog that explores a variety of topics: travel, family, fashion, and more.
7. Bites ‘N Pieces: Try these yummy recipes! Wonderful pictures and great looking site that will only make you even more hungry. The only place she goes a bit awry is with her opinion on peanut butter desserts. 🙂
8. Sphinxpoesy: Another terrific and varied blog; includes lifestyle, book reviews, interviews, and poetry with a much needed emphasis on self-empowerment.
9. Justine Laismith: A children’s author who offers great perspective and insight into Chinese culture.
10. the MINDBERG: a very well written blog focusing on mental health issues. Check out his clever recipe for the themindberg that details the contents of the blog.
11. The Unspoken Truth: another wonderful blog focusing on well-being and positivity. Messages of the day accompany longer, nuanced, and layered posts on how to improve your mental health.
12. Bobbi’s Blog: This great blog explores a varied topics ranging from travel and food to anxiety and panic attacks.
13. Finding the Fearless Life: A blog focusing on mental health, wellness, and faith through occasional stories that are both personal and moving.
14. We, the humankind: This blog explores everything from veganism and living green, to wellness and relationships.
15. Nikki Blissett: A beautiful looking blog with great photos and layout. The entries explore mental health and wellness..
If you have been nominated, you have the choice whether to respond. If you do, here are a few simple guidelines to follow.
The Rules Of The Versatile Blogger Award
- Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
- Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy — if you can figure out how to do it.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly. (I would add, pick blogs or bloggers that are excellent!)
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award — you might include a link to this site.